Coconut

First off, I want everyone to know that I am studying my Spanish on the beach... I´m not just laying out in the sun and swimming in the waves =) I try to talk to some different people each day I am at the beach. I have made friends with some local Ticos and I typically speak with them (one of them gave me my surf lesson for free). So, I am surrounded by Spanish. It gets a little difficult sometimes when I have both Spanish and English running around in my head, like now when I am writing this blogg. It gets difficult to compose the sentences in the correct structure with the correct words. Oh... and sometimes I´m at a loss of words in both languages. I think that is what makes it great!

The past few days I´ve spent on the beach have been nice. Yesterday I went shopping at the vendors and did some bargining. The prices here in Manuel Antonio, and in Quepos too, are not that great because it is a torist location. A lot of things are the same price as they would be in the USA. For example, a t-shirt here costs the same amount as a t-shirt you´d buy in any store, especially if it is a name brand. A soda costs about $2.00 USD and water about $1.50 USD. Some food is expensive, it just depends on where you go. However, the hotels tend to be cheap (you can stay in a decent hotel for about $40-$50 USD) and to take the public bus it costs me 200 Colones, which is approximately $.35 USD.

Yesterday on the beach I had my first real coconut. They either put a hole in the top or cut off the top. The water inside the coconut was nothing like I had expected. It was pretty bland. After, you can open the coconut up and eat the inside. It was pretty good, but a little bland. I think that in most places that use coconut that they put sugar on the coconut to give it a bit more flavor.

Most of the food here is great. I am very lucky that my host mother is an amazing cook. We have fresh fish a few times a week. One day we had a whole red snapper (I´ve got pictures of it!) and it was delicious. It was funny to eat the fish while it´s eye was still in tact. You had to be careful about the spines and bones.... if you swallow one, it could result in a hospital visit!

I´m not sure of my plans this weekend. Maybe some more beach time, maybe some visits to some waterfalls. We shall see. Until next week... nos vemos (see ya).
0 Responses

Post a Comment